Tuesday, June 17, 2008

my brave boy!

Dear Noah,
Today you were such a big boy. You had surgery to have tubes placed in your ears. Even though it was not a major surgery, it was still a surgery. Some people go through their whole life without ever having surgery, you got to experience it just shy of your 7 month birthday. I was a nervous wreck, but you showed me how to be brave and tackle it with a smile.

This morning when we woke you up at 6am to get ready to leave, you were looking for your morning milk. When you didn't get any...you didn't cry or fuss. You just flashed that big smile and bright blue eyes my way. You didn't fuss or cry at all that morning, I was so proud. The nurses in the surgery center were in love with you. They all came over to see you and no one could walk past your cubicle without saying "hey Noah!" Everyone wanted to hold you and they couldn't wait to get you in recovery. Your nurse came and brought the cutest, tiniest hospital gown I had ever seen. You looked adorable in it, I will save it for you wife one day.

At 7:10am after you were in your gown and your vitals taken, the anesthesiologist came to talk to us, I was a nervous wreck. He told us exactly what they were going to do and how long it would take. The nurses that would be in the OR with you then came to talk to us and told us that you would come out screaming and to be prepared. They said that the anesthesia would make you very irritable.....probably more irritable than we had ever seen you. Finally at 7:30 Dr. H arrived and came to get you. He said "Come here Noah man!" and he picked you up and carried you on his hip to surgery.

About 7 minutes later when they brought you from the OR to the recovery room I heard you screaming and my heart dropped. Your dad had reminded me that, that was a very good thing. About 2 minutes later the nurses brought you out to me, where you latched on and started nursing. You calmed right down after that. Dr. H came out and told us you did great until they laid you down on the table and at that point you started crying because you didn't want him to put you down.

The nurse then discharged us about 8am. She explained that you would be irritable all day and would be your old self tomorrow.. They explained what we needed to do and what to look for and we were off. They took your vitals one last time and you got upset all over again. When we left you calmed down a little and I carried you out of the building .... you had your bottom lip out and red eyes from crying.....I had never seen you so mad.

When we got home you slept for a good hour in your dad's arms and then about 9:30am you woke up with the biggest smile. My happy baby...you are amazing!

I am very proud of you and have to admit that you looked darn cute in your hospital gown!

Love, Mommy

These were too cute not to share!


Jess said...

Wow! What a big man! I can't believe how quick it all was. I hope recovery is quick and Mr. Noah gets his happy's back. :)

Annie said...

aww! We're so glad Noah is recovering and happy! What a brave baby boy!!

Jaimie said...

Way to go big guy!!! So proud of you!!!

The Owen Family said...

Glad it is over!!!! I am sooooooo glad he did great. Did he wake up at 3am or sleep until 6? Glad he did so good.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. I'm glad the experience was so positive. Hugs for Noah.

Blair said...

so glad he is doing so well! he is just adorable!

Mindy said...

What a cutie in that gown! Im so glad the surgery went well. You'll find it is such a huge difference! They suddenly hear new things!

Hugs to you all! Get some rest little one!

Olivia said...

Glad everything went so well. Hope everything is back to normal soon!