Monday, August 31, 2009

On days when she just dresses herself

My diva.  She has a fashion sense that is totally her own.  Some mornings we completely bat heads over the wardrobe.  Many of you may think like my mother, why on Earth do I give her the choice.  Well let me just say.  She doesn't always get to choose.  Sometimes when we are going somewhere or on Sunday mornings, I choose for her and that is that.  She knows that and typically does not fight me on this.  As long as the outfit meets her very picky standards.  Most of time I let her pick between two things.  And others I let her have free reign.  I figure what does it really hurt if she gets to pick her clothes for the day.  I'll tell ya, not a damn thing.



  It has gotten easier since I have gotten to know what she likes and what she does not like and will refuse to wear.  Remember when I said I only bought pink things, I did that way I didn't' have a drawer full of clothes not being worn because they weren't Pepto Bismol pink.  I started buying clothes that meet her very high standards of 1)not being tight around her arms  2)not being empire waisted and being tight across her chest 3)not being tight on her waist  and 4)not containing too much frilly stuff....then we got to a place where we are good.  I hated wearing stuff I did not like as a child.  I'm changing that with my own children. Here are some examples...



She loved this one....didn't want to take it off.




She totally put this ensemble together....do you love the shirt hair?  Yes, a yellow shirt she wore all day on her head like hair.....ALL DAY.  To the grocery, McDonalds, Target....ALL DAY!





Dress up at the discovery center.  She loves dress up and totally gets into character when she does. 




More dress up...this is my recent favorite princess ansemble she has put together.  We typically always wear her green dress, with a crown, heels and a purse.  See her side picture for an example.  However today, she totally mixed it up and had on a blue dress with two or three tutus underneath it.  This totally broke her no tightness around the waist rule, oh well.  I guess rules were meant to be broken.  Oh and when we are in princess garb, we have to play the part and refer to her as princess Meredith.  Today she waited for her little prince to wake up from his nap so he could dance with her.....he didn't cooperate when he awoke.




I wanted you to see the multiple layers under that dress.  I like to encourage her creativity and decision making skills.  I love it!

4 comments:

Amy said...

The yellow "hair" is hysterical!! Good for you for letting her wear that all over town, b/c really...what does it hurt??
She obviously loved it and you dodged a fight/meltdown. Win-win I say:)

Blair said...

Love it! And I agree. Pick your battles and what they were on "non-speical" days isn't one of them!

Love her diva style. Look out Mama, she might be famous one day!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

found you from TWO TODDLERS AND ME and i love following other mom's blogs! count me in!

http://www.speakingfromthecrib.com

mandi said...

Thanks girls!

Welcome to the blog, speaking from the crib!