Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 2 - The Incline Railway and Ruby Falls


On our second day in Chattanooga we headed to Lookout Mountain where we road the Incline Railway and then headed to Ruby Falls.  The Incline Railway is a trolley that rides up the side of the mountain to the top and then it comes back down again.  I remember doing this as a child.  I remember how nervous I was the going up and how relieved I was when we made it to the top, although I didn't admit that then.  I can't describe how awesome it was to experience it for the first time again through Meredith and Noah's eyes. This is a must see in Chattanooga.

If you look behind us you will see how it goes all the way to the top of the mountain.

Waiting to board their train car!


Our ride!


We had front row seats!



At the top looking down, it was pretty steep.  The kids weren't nervous at all.

Once you get to the top, you unboard, reboard and then ride back down.  Of course you can shop for the candy in the gift shop!


After we rode the Incline Railway we headed over to Ruby Falls.  This is one of my favorite things in Chattanooga and I think the kids loved it to.  You actually travel down appoximately 200+ feet into the mountain.  Then you walk about a half a mile and see a natural waterfall inside the mountain.  It is one of the neatest things I've ever seen.  The kids thought so too.  I have to say I was really proud of my tikes, they were so good and walked all of the way to the water fall and most of the way back.  The guide asked that you not touch the different rocks in the cave and my tikes didn't, I couldn't say the same for most of the grown adults on the tour with us.


My two tikes


My little miner getting ready for the cave, she had a million questions about what we were about to do.  Afterwards she couldn't stop talking about how awesome it was!


Always following in his big sister's footsteps.


200+ feet inside of a mountail, a cool 65degrees year round, here we are waiting for the tour to start.




The tikes walked all the way to the waterfall and most of the way back...almost an entire mile.


Almost to the waterfall.


The beautiful waterfall, once you were there, you got to take pictures and walk around it.  It was really cool, windy and wet.  The kids were amazed!


Noah loving the waterfall.



Meredith loving it too.


About to make our first trip around it.


A view from underneath it.


Before it was time to head back out, Josh and the tikes went around a second time.  On their second trip the lights went out, meaning it was time to head back, however it didn't phase them at all.  Here they are behind the falls.

No comments: