Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Becuase you had a bad day...

You know that song?  This one...

Because you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don't lie
You're coming back down and you really don't mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day
 
Well it's Meredith's favorite song.  Seriously.  If you come into my house any given day, you may just catch her naked except for her underwear, belting out this song at the top of her lungs.  And not because she constantly has bad days, I mean how many 3 year olds have bad days?  Especially ones that often munch on Happy Meals for lunch, goes to dancing school, play school, has multiple play dates and owns 3 pairs of red shoes.  Exactly, not this three year old.  No sir-ree, no reason for a bad day here.....at all.
 
Today though was a different animal....she had a great morning.  Dropped her brother off at school, went to dancing, then we went to get a 99cent sonic mini oreo sundae, then to Hobby Lobby (her favorite store - no idea why, because it's not mine), then to lunch and then to Mimi's.  Where she played all afternoon.  She played with her dolls, rode on the golf cart, fed the ducks, and all kinds of fun stuff.  She even got ice cream for a snack for the 2nd time that day.  Which is unheard of normally.  I am the healthy snack momma, I tell ya.
 
Anyway her day was busy and the plan was to have her daddy pick her up on his way home from work.  But when your dad is constantly on call as her dad was tonight, sometimes those plans have to change.  So I went to pick her up and head to get her snack for school tomorrow.  Do you know what can cause a 3 year old's world to come crashing down?  Changing plans on them.  Plans they were looking forward to.  When I walked into my mom's to pick up my daughter that I had dropped off 4 hours earlier, I was met with Satan's spawn instead.  Okay not really, but it was so not my child.  Not the one I left earlier.  Not the one I went through 19 1/2 hours of labor with no epidural just to wind up with a damn c-section anyway.  Yes, not that one in deed.  Instead I got one with a surly attitude, on the verge of a complete breakdown and drowning in tears and other fluids draining from the senseless fit being thrown. 
 
I did what any good mother would do.  I threatened a punishment, I told her I was NOT happy with her choices and I told her I was disappointed in her behavior and then I left her there and headed to get her snack without her.  The snack I specially ordered for her class to go with the "I'm going to Disney world and you're not" theme I have going on for snack day tomorrow.....but that is a post for another day.  Anyway I left her.  I was bewildered. I normally get tears and a fit when she has to leave Mimi's but normally she straightens up when I correct her.  Today not so much.
 
About an hour or so later I met back up with the devil's spawn said child.  We looked eye to eye, she told me I was mean. I told her to go to time out and think about it.  She cried, I banged my head on the counter.  Five minutes later I sat her down to talk to her.  She said she was sorry and hugged me.  Then she threw another fit with screaming and crying and real BIG tears.  I'm not even sure why.  Can 3 year olds have PMS? 
 
I sent her to her room.  She stayed there screaming for a while.  She finally emerged and we hugged and I told her I loved her and she sat on my lap and she cried about crying and then I told her enough....move on.....you had a freaking bad day.  Sing that damn song you are always singing at the top of your lungs.  She didn't want to because she was having too bad a day to sing.
 
So about 6:30 we had both chilled out.  Josh went back in to the hospital and the tikes and I went up to start an early bed time routine.  Once everyone was in bed, stories were read, songs sang and prayers said, I tucked Noah in and then went to tuck in my girl.  She asked me if I loved her, I responded as I always do "to the moon and back."  She asked me how far that was, I told her as I always tell her "as far as she could ever imagine."  I kissed her and told her I was sorry, she said she was sorry too.  I looked into her deep brown eyes and saw myself looking back at me.....God bless me when she is 16.  I am going to need it.
 
Meredith remember always that I love you! I am sure there will be times when you don't like me and I don't like you, but I will ALWAYS love you.  No matter what!
 
**By the way you love that song, because the chipmunks sing it.  I love it because you sing it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

HILARIOUS!! 3 years olds...PMS??
Seriously, I laughed out loud.

Sorry you guys had a bad day, hope this ones better.

jennlagdavis said...

I LOVE when little people sing their version of songs we hear on the radio. Mikey's favorites right now are Poker Face & I got a Feeling.
On any given day in our house you will hear...I godda feewin, nights a good night...my,my,my, my, my poka face - lol